Live and Work in the EU


A1.1 EU Citizens, EFTA (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and Switzerland and their families.

If you are a citizen of the European Union or EFTA, you are authorized to work in any of these countries without obtaining a work permit, unless there is some kind of national restrictions.

Similarly, you are also allowed to reside freely given certain conditions. You should also know that as a citizen of the Union have a number of rights and obligations that you can exercise.

You can get further information on the link that follows where you will find updated and detailed information on this subject on the website of the European Union:

A1.2 Abroad EU/EFTA citizens

If you are not a national of any of the member states of the EU / EFTA you must observe a number of requirements to work in the European area. Below you will find links leading you to the immigration portal of the European Commission where you will find detailed information on the necessary procedures:

Working in Greece

Working in Italy

Working in Spain

Directive 2005/36/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 7 September 2005 on the recognition of professional qualifications. (And all its later amendments)
This Directive establishes rules according to which a Member State which makes access to or pursuit of a regulated profession in its territory contingent upon possession of specific professional qualifications (referred to hereinafter as the host Member State) shall recognise professional qualifications obtained in one or more other Member States (referred to hereinafter as the home Member State) and which allow the holder of the said qualifications to pursue the same profession there, for access to and pursuit of that profession.
Professions included. General overview:

  • Doctors with basic training
  • Specialised doctors
  • Nurses responsible for general care
  • Dental practitioners
  • Specialised dental practitioners
  • Veterinary surgeons
  • Midwives
  • Pharmacists
  • Architects

For more information you can visit this site:

The NARIC Network or Network of Academic Recognition Information Centres was created in 1984 to help regulate the recognition of diplomas and the integration of the national education systems. These centres give authorized guidance and information about the academic recognition of diplomas and periods of study in other countries.

NARIC Network – Greece

NARIC Network – Italy

NARIC Network – Spain

You can find advanced information about the process of recognition of professional qualifications in this link:

This post is also available in: Spanish Greek Italian

Translate »
Skip to toolbar